Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

No connection - L wire of the plug with L wire of the socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fiann

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Simple Question

Alright, I have a plug (http://www.reuk.co.uk/OtherImages/13-amp-plug.jpg) where I wired L, N and E accordingly.

Then I have a wall socket (**broken link removed**) where I wired L, N and E accordingly as well.

What I did was I pluged in my plug into the wall socket to test for connectivity.
The E wire of my plug is successfully connected to the E wire of the wall socket.
The N wire of my plug is successfully connected to the N wire of the wall socket.

When I tested the L wire of the plug with the L wire of the socket, there does not seem to be any connectivity.

Is my socket faulty, or am I missing out on some information on sockets?

Re: Simple Question

Since the other two connections are good, you seem to be doing it correctly. I would make sure the non-functioning line was done right, no insulation stuck in the connection or something like that. But, if no error is found, you most likely have a defective part. Good luck and take no chances with safety.

Another not comletely uncommon common problem is a breakage in the cable itself: If your measurement includes a flexible cable from the plug, and it is aa old one 8already used for a longer time) there might be a breakag of copper inside the isolation - typically in a place where it is bent most, such as close to the plug. I have often cut off about 5 cm from the plug end of the cable, and re-terminated to the plug in those cases.

I am not completely familiar with the UK plugs, but isn't there a fuse as well? It should be in series with the "L" line, and if it is gone or missing, you have no connectivity.

And I want to repeat what oldeboots already said, because i is so important: Be careful with mains wiring - there are both shock and fire hazards!

Good luck!

I have also a few time encounter this problem.
And later realised that I didn't have the mains switch on,
when doing the conductivity test.
I believe the problem should be easy to troubleshoot.

For safety: Ensure your mains is off before any conductivity test.

Best Regards,
Siong Boon

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back