Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Nmos substrate connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

petros85

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all. I have runt into a DRC error :

MAXIMUM n+ DIFFUSION TO NEAREST p+ PICKUP SPACING(INSIDE P-WELL OR TWELL) IS 20um

I know this is resolved by adding taps or a guard ring around the device. Problem is that I get this error for one device that is quite big. So no matter how close I place the psub contacts I get the error marking the inside middle area of the device (that is further away than 20um from the taps.) There must be a way around this except resizing the nmos. (it is a diff pair in a one-line common centroid and I have tried to make it as square as possible)

Also I am using umc18nm process and I can't automatically create guard ring. It says guard ring template not set. So I manually placed psub contacts around the devices. In my smaller devices it worked nicely. Any advice on how to set the automatic guard ring creation?

why not split that big transistors into smaller ones then make the arrangement ABAB?

petros85 said:
Hi all. I have runt into a DRC error :

MAXIMUM n+ DIFFUSION TO NEAREST p+ PICKUP SPACING(INSIDE P-WELL OR TWELL) IS 20um

I know this is resolved by adding taps or a guard ring around the device. Problem is that I get this error for one device that is quite big. So no matter how close I place the psub contacts I get the error marking the inside middle area of the device (that is further away than 20um from the taps.) There must be a way around this except resizing the nmos. (it is a diff pair in a one-line common centroid and I have tried to make it as square as possible)

Also I am using umc18nm process and I can't automatically create guard ring. It says guard ring template not set. So I manually placed psub contacts around the devices. In my smaller devices it worked nicely. Any advice on how to set the automatic guard ring creation?

Yes that's a solution..I was trying to avoid it since I have already made a floorplan that will have to change now.

It seems too weird if you think about it it means that every device MUST have at least one dimension smaller than 20um. I thought that the 20um rule is from the edge of the diffusion area..not the WHOLE area.

that is the only solution. violating this rule might trigger latch-up because of the potential difference between the 20um region, and beyond it.

petros85 said:
Yes that's a solution..I was trying to avoid it since I have already made a floorplan that will have to change now.

It seems too weird if you think about it it means that every device MUST have at least one dimension smaller than 20um. I thought that the 20um rule is from the edge of the diffusion area..not the WHOLE area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back