Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie Question (Board Design with 3 altera startix devices)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bajaj

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I am Totally Newbie at board design and I am designing board with 3 altera parts (EP1s80F1508). I have following questions

1. one 3.3v@3A volatge reg. is enough for all three Parts? (VCCIO)
2. I am using three 1.5v@3A voltage reg. (one for each part). I really
need three? or one is ok
3. For main power to board i am using following switching power supply
https://www.cui.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=6554

Please look at the attached Page and let me know is everything ok??

Thanks In Advance :)
Bajaj

Re: Newbie Question (Board Design with 3 altera startix devi

One regulator for the 1.5V will be fine. I would add some 10nF caps on regulator inputs and outputs, and also a link so that you can check the supplies are correct before you connect them to the fpga. Xilinx ISE has a utility (XPower?) which can give a good estimate of the required current of each supply.

Git

Thanks for reply
How you add a link? you mean jumper at output??

One regulator (of sufficient power) is usually fine. However, keep in mind that each regulator acts as a low pass filter to isolate noise between the chips. So as long as you have enough noise suppression and don't find your self with lots of noise induced glitches you should be fine with just one regulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.