Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Newbie interested in programmable logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelocher25

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to learn programmable logic in order to simplify my PCB designs and bring costs down if I end up making multiple boards. Also, less soldering would be nice, as well as less board space. I'm just a home hobbyist with hundreds of logic chips and a couple dozen breadboards.

Some of my projects are getting complex; one for example has 6 counters, 3 binary adders, 2 quadrature decoders, and a dozen or so of various logic chips (and, or, nand and such).

So, instead of having for example, 20 or so logic chips on a board, couldn't I find some kind of PLD to replace them all? 1 chip to do the work of 20?

But which one would be best?

I usually power the circuits with regulated 5v, 1 amp supply. 3.3v would work, except the output would be driving many LED's and some small incandescent lights (1.5v 15mA lamps).......maybe have output to an optoisolator that lets a separate powersupply run the LEDs and lamps?

I don't mind some kind of "one time programmable"....I know I will ruin the first few of them through trial and error, but once I get it working, this would be fine. So, it doesn't really need to be re-programmable. Although, re-programmable could be a benefit later, with design upgrades, etc.

Most critical is that it can not lose its program on power off.

I don't know where to go for advice, looked at many forums, but they are beyond my experience level with this subject.

i have read about PLD..n i undersdtand it a little bit..
can some one do a comparison btween Micro-controller and PLD..
who is the latest technology? micro-controller or PLD?

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

what is the hadware and software if i want to start PLD?

plds are very old.
microcontrollers came after.

uc(microcontroller) is software approach for system design.
plds are basically hw.

for learning plds , the link i gave in previous post is a good starting point.

though many plds are available ,
a good start is to use 'pal' type plds.

for using pals , you have to write your boolean equations and assemble it using a pal assembler.

the assembler produces many files . one of them is the
data about 'fuse' of pal.
it is called 'jedec ' file.
use jedec to program the pal using a 'programmer'

some commercial programmer can program 'pals'.

Now low cost CPLD/FPGA development boards available at low cost, u can use them easily if u have

Status
Not open for further replies.