Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Neutral to Earth voltage in 3 Phase

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjtpower_magic

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,
Hope you are doing well and Safe!

I have small observation for 3 Phase system.
First observation-
1) When 3 Phase AC Source was balanced
a) L1-N=230VAC
b) L2-N=230VAC
c) L3-N=230VAC
i checked voltage between Neutral and PE (Protective Earth) and found it 0.023V

Next observation-

1) When 3 Phase AC Source was imbalanced
a) L1-N=230VAC
b) L2-N=230VAC
c) L3-N=0VAC
i checked voltage between Neutral and PE (Protective Earth) and found it 70V

Now i could not able to differentiate why this is happened.
Can someone help me with mathematical calculations how to find Neutral to PE (Protective Earth)?

Marx

Hi,

L3 - N = 0V sounds like a short circuit ... or an open L3

Please show how the load is connected in "imbalanced state". Which load from which point to which point?

Klaus

It is impossible to calculate. As Klaus pointed out, the measurement depends on the exact circuit details. In theory, PE and Neutral are different circuits so any potential is possible.

If PE and Neutral were joined together, which is a common scenario, there would always be zero between them, excepting some small amount due to wire resistance, inductance and capacitive coupling.

Brian.

If the neutral and earth wiring are too small, or the N-E linking bar at the nearest distribution board is faulty

you will get readings like this - what country / city are we talking about ? possibly not a 1st world one ?

Also what are you measuring with ?

Status
Not open for further replies.