Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quick, cheap, low power 3 phase supply

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
We need a 3 phase 115vac , pure sine, delta power source to shovel into a unit...only a few watts......is the attached the easiest way to do this?
LTspice and jpeg as atatched.

Attachments

• 3 phase delta.zip
    2.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 3 phase delta.jpg
    3 phase delta.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 45
Too many circuit flaws, e.g. massively exceeded transistor voltage and power rating.
Relation of power supply voltage and achieved voltage swing is mysterious.

Isn't it massive overkill to use 3 phase AC power source for anything < 100 watts?

Why using +/-200V DC to AC to DC just to get 120V at 2W?

This is another case of designing something without specs for cost & performance and then specifying for an "Easy " solution with a bad example.

Considering the frequency of design questions from cupoftea, I would expect he has learnt this by now.

Thanks, its just to give a basic test input to 3 phase equipment.
For 1 unit the cost of parts does not matter, but you need Vceo >=500V transistors and you need to specify output impedance Z(f) and load regulation error. This design looks rather high Z.

if it's only a few watts, a split 36V DC psu, 3 x small class AB audio amps, a signal source, x 3, phase locked, and three small transformers to go from:

12Vac rms ( audio amp output ) say, line to star point, up to 115Vac, line to line ( i.e. star - delta )

the code for the signal could be done on a PiC or any small uP with enough D/A for 3 outputs

If you use a 5V uP, and sit it at +/- 2v5 you will get just the right level shifted signal to go straight into the amplifiers.

easy peasy

Simple single chip approach to gen the 3 phase using a SOC. Lots
of other resources available for other tasks onchip, see right hand
column.

1697495381315.png

1697495361445.png

$15 board would suffice :

1697495489706.png

Regards, Dana.

Self-oscillating chaser (3-stage, half-bridges) creates 3-phase sinewaves to drive a delta arrangement. The load is the delta formation of 2.7 kOhm resistors.

LC arrangements were devised because they yield a sine waveform. However there ought to be a substitute for the 1 Henry inductors. As it stands my simulation wastes current unnecessarily. Anyway it illustrates the concept.

3-stage chaser drives 3-phase loads (delta).png

Thanks all,
@ Easy Peasy...and presumably we should do the "2 phase is 3 phase" version of your audio amp based supply?
(LTspice and jpeg as attached)

Audio amps into transformers seems like the way to go, as you kindly say.

Attachments

• 2 phase is 3 phase.jpg
    2 phase is 3 phase.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 2phase is 3phase.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 31
Hi,

As such, I believe what we need to produce a quick 3 phase delta supply for our test purposes, is three Audio amplifiers using TDA7292 chip....

TDA7292 audio amp driver
https://4donline.ihs.com/images/Vip...5-1.pdf?hkey=6D3A4C79FDBF58556ACFDE234799DDF0

(So we would use fig22 page 17 and put the transformer primary where the speaker is on that schem..we would only use one channel as they cant be paralleled))

We need an Arduino to help give us the three phase shifted input sine waves. We will get the reference sines from filtered square waves. We will then feed each sine into the TDA7292 audio amplifier. The output of that will go into the CTFCS200-18U mains transformer (but input into “secondary”).

CTFCS200-18U transformer

We then simply connect the three transformer outputs in delta.

Do you agree , this is a good modus operandi?
(We’d rather buy off the shelf audio amp, but there are none for cheap)

Last edited:
It may not be efficient but it should work.
Suggestion - use a phase shift oscillator (3 x caps, 3 resistors in a single transistor feedback loop) and take the phases from each stage of the RC network. It's much simpler than generating phased square waves and filtering.

Brian.

Thanks, the attached phase shift osc is doing 60Hz now, but need to adjust it for amplitudes. Also, will need two of them for the 120degs (LTspice and jpeg)

Attachments

• Phase shift osc.jpg
    Phase shift osc.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 39
  • pso.zip
    687 bytes · Views: 37
1698617991109.png

Result of post #7. No T and V issues with passives due to onchip timing accuracy
and onchip Vref for DACs.

Took 4 lines of code.

Regards, Dana.

Thanks Danadakk, ill look into the SOC situation.
At the moment, the analog way looks like only giving one stable sine wave, which needs filtering...hence i am still thinking of the "square wave in to LC tuned to 60Hz".

..3 times, and phase shifted 120degs

LTspice and jpeg attached

Attachments

• pso_1.jpg
    pso_1.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 39
  • pso1.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 34
Nothing has be said about using electrolytic caps in the circuit. You surely won't.
RC impedance level could be higher though.
Circuit shows 47 uF, so I assumed electrolytic or tants....

1698672914595.png

But could be ceramics, like MLCC, class 1 or film but we are just guessing not knowing
OP goal for frequency accuracy over T & V.....

Regards, Dana.
--- Updated ---

Thanks Danadakk, ill look into the SOC situation.
At the moment, the analog way looks like only giving one stable sine wave, which needs filtering...hence i am still thinking of the "square wave in to LC tuned to 60Hz".

..3 times, and phase shifted 120degs

LTspice and jpeg attached
If you want stability using L:C than focus on the L to get high Q.

Of course yiouw ant a high slope to phase vs freq to achieve stability -

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:
Circuit shows 47 uF, so I assumed electrolytic or tants....
Which circuit? Post #15 shows 4.7 uF, I would expect film capacitor in the first place.

Capacitor value his however unnecessarily high. It's not clear at all why component values have been selected so.

I feel that none of the analog generator implementations being shown along this thread is well considered. But specs aren't really clear, frequency variable yes/no?, expected magnitude stability?

Regarding recently suggested LC filters, they are feasible but not very practical for 50/60 Hz. Better use active RC filter. I don't see a particular advantage in bandpass usage, low pass works as well.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: