Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need LDO expert's help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanrong

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi :
For stability ,it is required that the output cap must be greater than a value ,but
the ESR is not needed . So is it output cap compensation and the output pole is
the dominant pole ? But in it's shcmatic , it is like that a node in the errorAmp
is made the dominant pole for there is Miller compensation with cap Multiplier .
So what kind of compensation and which pole is the dominant pole ?

of course the dominant pole is at the output. ESR is also important for stalibity.

usually u use a large offchip cap. at the output node making the output node the dominant pole , or if u don't want offchip component u use other compansation techniques (like miller , nested miller or whatever)to make the output of the error amp. the dominant pole

usually u use a large offchip cap. at the output node making the output node the dominant pole , or if u don't want offchip component u use other compansation techniques (like miller , nested miller or whatever)to make the output of the error amp. the dominant pole
------ NONSENSE

I think usually we creat a zero in the circuit to compensate the output pole, the dominate pole usually is inside.

I don't think so, the dominate pole usually is the output pole,and creat a zero to compensate the output pole of errorAmp. because the LDO's output pole and CAP's esr-res is variable

Agree with paley.

Traditional LDO design, domainant pole 99.99999% result from output cap(Co). in real life design, this is a real capicator, therefore, it is not an ideal cap and will have resistance, it is know as Resr. Because of Resr, there is a zero.

Co master the domainant pole, the zero will cancel the 2nd pole from AMP's output. There is also, a high frequency pole, that is behind UGF.(*but i forgot where it is from, and i am lazy to check this out to u now*)

So, it may be or most liekly that, there is 3 pole, 1 zero in typical LDO.

People nowadays plays LDO at least in the following ways :

1> due feedback loop.
2> break down final stage into smaller piece on PMOS in order to create more pole/zero pairs by feebback control.
3> damping effect control.
4> adding zero in some place btween domainant pole and UGF

all these methods are........playing with maths and then turn it into circuit...

All are the things i know upon now. In fact, if u have time to study LDO papers. u should discover how people playing on LDO. and u must got more more knowledge on circuit design ~

i hope u will draw the same conclusion as me so that there is one more ppl prove i am right or....there is two ppl wrong in the world.....................

u can refer to the ieee paper "a_capacitor-free_cmos_low-dropout_regulator".
It gives u a general image about the conventional ldo,and proposes a damping method to stabilize the ldo.
Hope it will help~~

Status
Not open for further replies.