Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Need help on component seclection !

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoalanhuong

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I'm now searching for harware components to build a 10/100 ethernet networking device. I need some kind of customizable ethernet controller or solution like that, it (the IC) may contain both fix PHY&MAC, PCI core and have some space to feed additional fpga module or it provide them in separate blocks and allow developer to put additional service to manipulate, analyze data on-the-fly.

For example: If I use ethernet controller like RTL8139C(L) to build the NIC, I can't put my own desire service (encrypting, analyzing,...) on that NIC because the controller is fix package.

Any hint will be highly appreciated . Thanks !

HoaLanHuong

Try low-density FPGA do it.

tongson said:
Try low-density FPGA do it.

Thanks for reply, but what do you mean by "low-density FPGA". Could you show me in more detail?

Do you know any custumizable (or have free room for putting additional networking services in fpga) ethernet controller IC? Or some solution like that?

HoaLanHuong

You could use ASIC such as 82559 and a FPGA to fullfill your requirements. And your FPGA SHOULD contain two PCI interface and it looks like a PCI bridge. Your logic should lie between the two PCI.

chinara said:
You could use ASIC such as 82559 and a FPGA to fullfill your requirements.

It may be a good idea. Thanks.

chinara said:
And your FPGA SHOULD contain two PCI interface and it looks like a PCI bridge. Your logic should lie between the two PCI.

Do you know any existed solution, SDK or project likes that ?

HoaLanHuong

hoalanhuong said:
Hi everybody,

I'm now searching for harware components to build a 10/100 ethernet networking device. I need some kind of customizable ethernet controller or solution like that, it (the IC) may contain both fix PHY&MAC, PCI core and have some space to feed additional fpga module or it provide them in separate blocks and allow developer to put additional service to manipulate, analyze data on-the-fly.

For example: If I use ethernet controller like RTL8139C(L) to build the NIC, I can't put my own desire service (encrypting, analyzing,...) on that NIC because the controller is fix package.

Any hint will be highly appreciated . Thanks !

HoaLanHuong

vertex4 has got inbuild ethernet controller
also u can implement ur pci by coregen that is given by xilinx
ths it

Status
Not open for further replies.