Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Need help desparately with building power supply for servo controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

c131frdave

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I hope I'm in the correct forum. If not, maybe somebody can direct me to where I need to go.

I'm building a control box for a CNC. I purchased a kit in 2004, but had to go over seas to work, and never started the project. I'm home now, so I decided to build myself a CNC router.

My kit is for 25VDC servos- 4 of them. I have 4 Geckodrives (G320) drivers, and a standard 4 channel breakout board. But that's not the problem...

My problem is trying to build the power supply. The kit had a toroidal transformer. This toroid has two pairs of high side and two pairs of low side leads. The label is attached. I have the wall 120VAC hot side going to a switch, and then to a terminal strip. The wall's neutral side goes to a terminal as well. The transformer is rated at 12.5 amps per side, and the instructions I have says to run them in parallel to get 25amps. I therefore have it wired as follows:

Gray and Brown to 120VAC HOT
Blue and Violet to Nuetral

On the low side, I have:

Red and Yellow to a terminal
Black and Orange to a terminal

The next step is to run these to a rectifier. I have one installed, and ran a lead from the rectifier to the RED/YELLOW terminal, and the other lead to the BLK/ORNG terminal.

As you can see from the photo, I managed a lot of flame, smoke, and genral chaos.

Earlier, I had my computer on and old tube television on, and when I turned the controller box on, it blew the house 15amp service breaker. When I reset the house breaker, I left the TV and computer off, and it was then that I caught my wiring on fire. All wires on the high side of the transformer are 14 gauge, and on the low side are 18 gauge.

Can anyone tell me where I've gone wrong? I'm at a loss. Thank you!

toroid label.jpgfried wide.jpgterminal strip.jpgconnector burnt.jpg

BTW, what would happen if I have my wires backwards at the wall outlet? Could that be the issue? How do you tell which side is which?

Also, I did not have anything connected to the rectifier on the DC side. The circuit ends at the rectifier on the AC side. So the entire circuit is AC wall plug to switch, to torroid transformer to AC terminals on rectifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back