Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

N-Way resistive splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sarajlija83

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am trying to do a N-way (N between 8 and 12) resistive splitter that will work up to 4 to 5 GHz. I have the math worked out and it works perfectly in a schematic simulation. However, when I do a momentum simulation and include the PCB trace length I get very bad performance. I am doing half of the connectors on the top layer and the other half of the bottom layer of the pcb. The top and bottom inputs are connected with vias. I have the 50 ohm trace width calculated, so that is probably not the problem. I believe the main problem is the point where all the inputs come together.

Does anybody have experience with this that they can share or can anyone point me to a resource on a resistive splitter layout.

Thanks.

Hey sarajlija - just a quicky as I pass by my PC...

Good web resource:
https://www.microwaves101.com/encyclopedias/resistive-power-splitters

If you build it with a star topology (so the resistors are like the radial spokes of a bike wheel) it should be fine to very high frequencies. Beware passing the RF through the PCB with vias though - if your board is thick, the series inductance can impose all sorts of weird resonances/peaks/troughs in your return loss! Stay single sided above a plane (with coplanar waveguide/microstrip) and all will be good :)

- - - Updated - - -

Can you post a photo of your layout?

Theoretically a resistive splitter should be broadband, but making one yourself with very flat response up to 6 GHz could be very challenging.
Have to take care about all the layout and component parasitics, as in the picture attached.

For example when I build a simple broadband 3-way splitter (star topology) for high frequencies, I place on each arm of the star three 50 ohms SMD resistors in parallel (one on top of the other), resulting a 16.6 ohms resistor.
The resulting resistor have 3x less parasitic series inductance than using only one 16.6 ohms resistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back