Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Power splitter - unbalanced outputs

SG61-addict

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am using a minicircuits SCN-3-13+ power splitter/combiner (3 ways, 0°).

Before the splitter, I have a SMA connector, some LF filtering and a LNA. This input block is connected the the SUM port of the splitter.

Each output port of the splitter, is connected to a SAW filter and LNA, giving 3 amplified and filtered signals in 3 different frequency bands.

Simulating the whole design would give me approx. +23dB of gain for all 3 channels.

In the real life, I have a huge unbalance :
- 847MHz channel : +20dB
- 868MHz channel : +13dB
- 897MHz channel : +30dB

If I remove the splitter, measuring S-params of all pre and post block give me the expected values.

My conclusion is that the pre/post blocks composed of filtering and LNA are ok but the splitter don't works as planned. I am not a RF expert and not sure this device is compatible for this usage (split 3 low-power signals from an antenna).

I tried to removed the 3 required isolation resistors. Things are a little bit different but still wrong:
- 847MHz channel : +23dB
- 868MHz channel : +16dB
- 897MHz channel : +31dB

Which type of resistance am I supposed to use for the RF application? Current design is using thick-film resistor.

Any suggestion will help :)
Thank you

Does the simulation include SAW filter S-parameters over the full frequency range?
Yes. I previously made a characterization board and measured each device with a VNA, 1MHz step from 1M to 6G. For all components... Excepted the splitter, for which I use the manufacturer s4p file.

Have you applied the recommended circuit for the Splitter ??
1695184950456.png

Have you applied the recommended circuit for the Splitter ??
Yes !
But things are better without theses recommended resistors (my second set of measurements, first post).
R values checked... ok.
PCB layout is very similar to the recommended layout.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back