Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved] Increasing frequency in a Wien's Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

kodiak

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings, guys! I'm trying to increase the frequency of a Wien's Bridge up to at least 600kHz. As R1=R2 and C1=C2, the frequency should be given by \[\frac{1}{2ΠRC}\], but this relation does not fit the simulated frequency when it goes higher than 14k~15kHz. I'm aware that the Wien's Bridge was not meant to work with frequencies this high, but I just can't understand why it stops working. The following circuit should oscilate in 1.4MHz, but in the simulation it seems to oscilate in 440kHz.
Wien.jpg
I would think that this would be related to the Opamp I'm using, but I have already made a TL072 oscilate in MHz with a different oscilation circuit. So, would you have any idea of what's going on with the circuit that does not allow it to oscilate faster? What could I do?
Thank you.

Hi,

Yes, i thi k it is the Opamp.
Go through it's datasheet and find charts giving open loop gain and - more important - phase shift against frequency.

For the oscillation you need a phase shift of 180 degree. With low frequencies the opamp has about zero phase shift, so you don't need to take this into account. But with higher frequencies there is a significant phase shift.

Klaus

The oscillation condition requires a loop gain with a phase shift of ZERO deg.
For the WIEN type oscillator this is achieved with a bandpass (zero phase) and a non-inverting opamp (also zero phase). Hence, there is no 180deg phase shift at all.
For R1=R2 and C1=C2 you need an opamp gain slightly largerb than "3". Hence, the used opamp must be able to provide this gain at the desired frequency.
But there is another parameter that - in many cases - limits the use for higher frequencies: SLEW RATE.
Therefore, select an opamp with very high slew rates (large signal bandwidth) - for example, a Current-Feedback Amplifier (CFA).

More than that, if the used capacitors are in the pF range, you must be aware that parasitic capacitances play a certain role.

- - - Updated - - -

A rough calculation gives a minimum slew rate (for 5 Volts output amplitude) of app. SR=20V/µs.

Reactions: kodiak

kodiak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Most opamps cannot drive the very low value 150 ohm resistors in your circuit since their minimum allowed load is 2000 ohms. Some opamps can drive a load of 600 ohms. But if you increase the value of the resistors then you must decrease the value of the capacitors down to almost only stray capacitance.

Reactions: kodiak

kodiak

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.