Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MOSFET for buck Convee

Max01800

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to design a buck converter with Vin=12 V, Vout=5 V and Maximum Iout=10 A. Do you have any suggestions on how to choose the mosfet and the diode ? And specifically, what kind of information I should look for on the datasheet?

How I do it:

(The semiconductor manufacturer want to sell their products, thus they support you..)

* Go to a SMPS IC manufacturer internet site
* find the interactive search. example: https://www.analog.com/en/product-category/step-down-buck-regulators.html
* input your design requirements
* check results (mabe refine your search)
* open datasheets (a couple of them just to find out what suits you most)
* follow the part selection guidelines

Clean, straight forward, never failed with this. No reason to re-invent the wheel.

Klaus
--- Updated ---

And specifically, what kind of information I should look for on the datasheet?
sadly ... you need to browse through the whole datasheet. At least the chapter headlines.
We don´t know which part of the datasheet is how important for you. It may be heat spreading, surge handling, pulse load handling, cost, availability, part count, PCB size...

Any of these should work.

Pick a part based on IC price availability, choose tradeoffs , run design
1704910723970.png
Then run simulation for your expected performance , Step load overshoot, ripple, Heat rise from Power loss, etc. Change parameters in advanced, rerun until it meets all your design specs for DC, AC, $$ load regulation, Overshoot, heatsink size, board size, ambient temp rise, etc.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: