Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MIG DDR3 implementation

Status
Not open for further replies.

syedshan

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am to start MIG DDR3 interface, I have few questions regarding it. I would like your support if you can asnwer these.

Actually I have following questions as a starter...

1- Using Virtex 6 (ML605 board): DDR3 SDRAM. Is it essential to use MIG using microblaze processor or we can interface it directly with our design.

2- I am using evaluation board to learning purpose actual implementation is on practical board which is to arrive in some time. I want to send simple data and then retrieve it from DDR3 to check if
I am doing things write. What do you suggest. I did not find such help any where on internet. I am hopeful once I am able to do that I can implement this in my design with success.

Can some one share his experience / test code with me even if with DDR2 etc so that I can pick things fast

Eagerly Waiting for reply with Many thanks in advance
Shan

- - - Updated - - -

Dear all,

one more thing... :)

Since I am using the MIG interface which is supposed to EASE IN COMMUNICATING WITH DDR(s) , so do I have learn all complex DDR3 protocols, like in FFT core implementation inside working of FFT in complete depth is not required...

Basics will do it since the things for memory is really quite lengthy and would take much time

MIG is the way to go. You can find MIG reference design targeting ML605 from the ML605 page: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/ml605.htm

Dear all,

I am to start MIG DDR3 interface, I have few questions regarding it. I would like your support if you can asnwer these.

Actually I have following questions as a starter...

1- Using Virtex 6 (ML605 board): DDR3 SDRAM. Is it essential to use MIG using microblaze processor or we can interface it directly with our design.

2- I am using evaluation board to learning purpose actual implementation is on practical board which is to arrive in some time. I want to send simple data and then retrieve it from DDR3 to check if
I am doing things write. What do you suggest. I did not find such help any where on internet. I am hopeful once I am able to do that I can implement this in my design with success.

Can some one share his experience / test code with me even if with DDR2 etc so that I can pick things fast

Eagerly Waiting for reply with Many thanks in advance
Shan

- - - Updated - - -

Dear all,

one more thing... :)

Since I am using the MIG interface which is supposed to EASE IN COMMUNICATING WITH DDR(s) , so do I have learn all complex DDR3 protocols, like in FFT core implementation inside working of FFT in complete depth is not required...

Basics will do it since the things for memory is really quite lengthy and would take much time

Thank you for your reply.

I have my system designed initially using simple dual port RAM, following is the code, how can I change the respective commands for reads and writes

Code:
  always@(posedge clk)
  begin
    if(wr_en)       mem_blk[address_in] <= data_in;		      
    if (rEN)        data_out <= mem_blk[address_out];
  end

It is only for read and write, but since there are certain controlling aspects like Coloumn address, Row address, how to do that IN CONTRAST TO SIMPLE ADDRESSING OF DUAL PORT MEMORY

the important question is if your existing code can tolerate a lower bandwidth (especially if there are lot of random accesses), or a higher latency. The addressing is largely handled by mig and abstracted as a single memory space.

well the question is not about bandwidth but I want to inquire if the proper (and easy) way of using MIG is using micorblaze processor or just instantiating the MIG core.

Please do reply, since I have gone through MIG core and find it really hectic and hard to start implementation.

Any thing which can help me in the right direction, I will be greatly thankful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back