Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Xilinx Kintex-7 DDR3 ACC Line Lengths

Status
Not open for further replies.

strahd_von_zarovich

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,
I am designing a board which has Kintex-7 series FPGA and DDR3 ICs on it. The problem is Xilinx Application Note says something like this;

"CK/CK# signals must arrive at each memory device after the DQS/DQS# signals. The skew allowed between CK/CK# and DQS/DQS# must be bounded between 0 and 1,600 ps. The recommended skew between CK/CK# and DQS DQS# is 150 ps to 1,600 ps for components/UDIMMs and for RDIMMs it is 450 ps to 750 ps. For DIMM modules, the total CK/CK# and DQS/DQS# propagation delays from the FPGA to the memory components on the DIMM must be accounted for when designing to this requirement."

"CK/CK# signals must arrive at each memory device after the DQS/DQS# signals. " This line is okay. But at least 150ps is too much, this forces me to make all address, control and clock signal lines much more longer. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Canberk

Which document has this specific requirement? It's not in UG586 I believe.

Particularly, are you sure that they are referring to an additional PCB delay? CK driver has a programmable "Phasor" too.

Which document has this specific requirement? It's not in UG586 I believe.

Particularly, are you sure that they are referring to an additional PCB delay? CK driver has a programmable "Phasor" too.
It is in UG586, Page-192,
R1.PNG

o.k., newer UG586 revision. It's page 198f in the most recent v4.2. Not sure why the skew can't be generated in the DDR3 interface. Did you review evaluation board designs, do the actually implement the positive CK/CK# skew in?

Hi,

friendly off topic reminder:

* UG586: there are different versions around. I did check two of them. One has only about 164 pages, the other showed the information at page #198.
--> better give a link to the document you use directly at the manufacturer´s internet site.
--> better refer to chapter "Design Guidelines --> Trace Lengths"

* The text copied as text uses just about 1 kByte. The "copied" text as picture uses about 300 kbytes of file size.
(especially for members around the world who have low internet rate)

Klaus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back