Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microstrip line characteristic impedance is not 50 ohm in source term matching

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangzhao

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone, i'm getting through a tutorial of RF power gain design.
In the source side, the guidence changes the microstrip line characteristic impedance to 8 ohm, but why it doesn't follow 50 ohm?
QQ截图20221022152228.png

QQ截图20221022152247.png

From your diagrams it appears your goal is to match impedance between 8 ohms and 50 ohms at 960 MHz. That is, to convert volts and Amps so as to produce optimal power transfer.

Your second schematic diverts high frequencies to ground. Therefore it's a low-pass filter. The time-dependent components are capacitors. I don't see how it could provide power gain.

Impedance matching networks generally contain inductors and capacitors.
Although I'm not expert at rf conversion, micro-strip lines or pcb design, I like to contrive simulations. This sort of looks like what you wish to do. By carefully adjusting values it manages a small amount of power gain, theoretically. Incoming signal is 5V amplitude.

impedance matching 8 ohm LC to 50 ohm 10kHz.png

Last edited:

hi, BradtheRad,​

Let me do an advanced explanation.

Two schemetics posted above are sub part of the whole gain circuit. And, the pic2 is the sub-circuit of pic1's [DA_SmithChartMatch_1].

The output imdepance of Amplifier is (2.9-j*1.32) ohm, which is presented by [Term1] and connecting to [P1].

MY GOAL is to match impedance from (2.9-j*1.32) ohm to 50ohm.

Generally, matching circuit uses a constant characteristic impedance upon microstrip line. That means, in my thought, I can keep the characteristic impedance to 50 ohm.

But why [TL1] uses 8 ohm characteristic impedance, rather than 50 ohm?

By the way, thanks for your timing diagram :)

You will need to check the path in Smith chart when using 8 ohm line vs. 50 ohm.
hi, volker@muehlhaus

I'm following a guidence for beginners, it sets zline characteristic impedance = 8 ohm.

I just want to know what factor effects it to select the first zline characteristic impedance to 8 ohm?
What about 18 ohm?

QQ截图20221025150440.png

I think the idea is to gradually increase impedance levels from the very low source impedance towards 50 Ohm load impedance. Not sure how "optimized" the 8 ohm value really is, I would expect that you can also design the matching circuit using 12 ohm or 18 ohm line as first element.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back