Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Microstrip Line design and Input impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujan2

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am designing a 50 ohm, lambda/2 microstrip line with two lumped ports each of 50 ohm in HFSS using FR4_epoxy (relative permittivity=4.4) substrate of 1.67mm thick at 1.5GHz. The width and length of the microstrip line is calculated using ADS linecalc method which is obtained to be width:3.193830 mm and length: 54.523000 mm. Since the load impedance and characteristic impedance of the microstrip line is both 50 ohm the input impedance z(1,1), I believe should be 50 ohm for at least 1.5GHz. However, I am not getting 50 ohms while extracting the report for Z(1,1) or Z(2,2). I am new to RF and microwave and it will be greatly appreciated for any help on this. I have attached the screenshot of the result and design here. There is radiation box too which is 0f 100mm cube.

1698297951777.png
1698298001011.png

Thank you.

Z-parameters are "Open Circuited Parameters" so when one port is opened, the impedance that is seen from other ports. You have to check s-parameters to verify your line, not z-parameters.

That's it.
By definition
1698314929704.png

Which means that you left open port 2 (current is 0), so you only sees an open line.
Checking the smith chart you will see that S(1,1) in centered at 50 Ohms.

Just a comment.

Although FR4 is a fire retardant std. laminate using a certain epoxy/fiberglass ratio and dielectric constant. near and above 1GHz it also has a loss tangent that will affect performance, so there are improved options generally with lower Dk which raises Zo or increases the trace width/height requirement to meet 50 Ohms. Although the Dk tolerances are not precise. +/-10% typ.

Thank you everyone. I found my mistake. I was connecting two port each of 50 ohms and looking for Z(1,1) which I realized later it is not input impedance for two port network. When I changed second port to Lumped RLC, it worked, I can see almost 50 ohms in all the frequency sweep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back