Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Microstrip Antenna Design using hafss

Status
Not open for further replies.

agopichand88

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Friends I am doing my last sem project on th microstrip antenna design using hfss.i have attached my base paper and also the the geometry i have created please help me if any eroors are made in geometry and also the boundary and excitations need to be assigned .and what type of solution modal should i use.

The article name inthe pdf is:
Printed UWB Antenna with Coupled Slotted Element for Notch-Frequency Function
View attachment 351924.pdf
View attachment UWB ANTENNA.zip

Last edited:

hello
i m also new to HFSS but i tried to check your design.
why did you give height to the ground plane. you have made the ground at height 1.52 mm but ground plane should be at z=0 in this particular design
and you made the patch at position z=0 but that should be above the subtrate that is z=1.52 which is the height of your susbrate.
and why did you make so many polyline, your design can be made by simple sheets and cubes and then by cutting the slots into it.
you made H slots thats also should be at postion z=0 according the rear side picture in your paper
if you see your paper then they have clearly showed you the rear part and the front part.

you have made good design no doubt but i think it still needs correction.

Last edited:

gopi, you design should be like this i think.
i have not made H slot in that because it need lots of calculation

Attachments

• Ansoft.rar
    24.2 KB · Views: 175
ok I have done my corrections regarding the top and bottom planes how should i asiign the materials for the feed element and also the rectangular coupled element.
what are all the boundary conditions i need to consider and the excitations too.

you only have to assign the material to the substrate and you have done that already
you have to assign boundary to ground plane and to the patch as perfect E and you have to feed the antenna by lunped port
check my design that i have attached for you. it is incomplete design but still you can learn it from that design.

i hope my reply helped you a lot

thanks it really helped a lot
one more thing is there any book or paper where i can learn about wat type of boundaries and excitations should i use at different conditions

gopi, you can read HFSS manual. it will help you.
gopi, do you have any friend who is working on cst2010

nope i don't know anyone working on cst2010
I knw how to assign the ports but i want to knw where i should use them in detaillike wher i should go for wave port or lumped port or perfect e or h plane or symmetry i want to know the basics of microstrip antenna

hy for all I'm trying to simulate rfid microstrip antenna with complex input impedance witch 25.5 +145*j

i used a lumped port for the exitation
my problem is that when i use a power of 1w as source i find in result
incident power = 5.74
accepted power = 0.17
radiated power is 0.06

the obtained gain is 0.45
and the directivity is 4.82

i can't find out the sollution pleeaze does any one now about this

Attachments

• pach82.rar
    34.4 KB · Views: 155

hfss manual guide will help you in this.
And wave port is used in coaxial feeding and when you have to feed the antenna with microstrip feed then limped port will be used and and any conducting plane will be assign as perfect E.
ground plane and patch is made of conducting element like copper so it will be assign as perfect E

thanks it really helped a lot
one more thing is there any book or paper where i can learn about wat type of boundaries and excitations should i use at different conditions

1) Wire antenna such as Dipoles, Monopoles should use Lumped ports.
2) Horn antennas should use wave ports;
3) Planar antennas fed with coax feeds, microstrip, stripline or other transmission line
feeds can use either Wave or Lumped ports;

thanks for telling me this, but i was told here by other users of edaboard that lumped port is used in microtrip feeding of microstrip antenna and waveport for coaxial feeding.

does anyone has hfss 13 tutorials
why do you need only hfss v13 tutorial. you can have tutorial of other version also e.g version 11 also.
i can provide you that. working is same in all version whether it is 13 or 11.

i had hfss v13 tutorial also but it got deleted from my laptop.

incident power = 5.74
accepted power = 0.17
radiated power is 0.06

If you have a power of 1W as source and an incident power of 5.74 W, then clearly something is very wrong!

Nothing much makes sence to me. If the directivity is 4.82, and the gain 0.45, that suggests an efficiency of under 10%. But the ratio of accepted and radiated power suggests an efficiency of around 40%.

Clearly you are doing something very wrong.

Dave

@kartik khurana
are you having CPW feeding?

does any one have an idea on how to give co-ax probe feeding i mean how to get dimensiond and all

hy for all I'm trying to simulate rfid microstrip antenna with complex input impedance witch 25.5 +145*j

incident power = 5.74
accepted power = 0.17

hi, how can i define the input power as 1W or some other number in hfss, thanks.

radiated power is 0.06

i can't find out the sollution pleeaze does any one now about this

incident power = 5.74
accepted power = 0.17
radiated power is 0.06 are they dBm or W?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back