Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

microcontroller usb and PC usb port connexion design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hicham M

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm developping a firmware for a custom board that has a usb in it.

This board had burned many usb ports in other computers.
I had a new workstation 6 months ago, and I already changed the motherboard and yesterday the power supply. all happened because of this board.

I attached here the schematic of the usb connexion in the board, it seems okey for me. I would appreciate it if anyone could take a look at it.

also, is there any tips or tricks to go through this problem and find out why my the usb port is burning my computer ?

Thank you
Sans titre.png

Put some resistors in 4 and 5th pin, its not good to give directly to a zener diode without resistor.

can you calculate, what is the current through the zener if you are giving 5.5v in the input?

Put some resistors in 4 and 5th pin, its not good to give directly to a zener diode without resistor.

can you calculate, what is the current through the zener if you are giving 5.5v in the input?

Thank you VenKadesh,

I also noticed the missing resistors too, but when I check the zener array datasheet, in their typical schematic , they didn't put resistors (check the page below Sans titre.jpg)

I'll see how I can calculate the current.

if it is not advisable then select some more voltage zener. It should not be in the range of usb 4.5 to 5.5V.

One doubt,

this connector is not looking like Standard USB type connector........It's looks like RJ11 .....

Then you have custom cable for connecting.....CAn u elaborate little bit...

One doubt,

this connector is not looking like Standard USB type connector........It's looks like RJ11 .....

Then you have custom cable for connecting.....CAn u elaborate little bit...

Indeed, it's the same as the Ethernet connectors, goes with the RG45.

I build my cable using a standard cable (type A-B) and replacing the B connector with RG45 connector( I connect the 4 pins : D+,D-,Vdd and Vcc )

I tested the ground of the A connector and it is linked to the board's ground.

- - - Updated - - -

if it is not advisable then select some more voltage zener. It should not be in the range of usb 4.5 to 5.5V.

Sorry, I didn't understand ? you mean I should replace the zener array with one that supports higher voltage ?

Are you sure about the cabling.
USB is rather robust standard when it comes to short circuiting.
"According to the USB 2.0 specification, a USB transceiver is required to Withstand a continuous short circuit of D+ and/or D- to VBUS, ground, other data lines or the cable shield at the connector for a minimum of 24 hours Without causing damage to the internal circuitry."
"It is recommended that transceivers be designed to withstand such short-circuits indefinitely. The device must not be damaged under the
short-circuit condition when transmitting 50% of the time and receiving 50% of the time (in all supported speeds). The transmit phase consists of a symmetrical signal that toggles between drive HIGH and drive LOW. This requirement must be met for max value of VBUS (5.25 V). "

select some zener of more than 5.5V. otherwise it may load the data lines.

That's not an option, I have already 300 units in the field and I just want to protect my computer, We will report this to the hardward designer

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure about the cabling.
USB is rather robust standard when it comes to short circuiting.
"According to the USB 2.0 specification, a USB transceiver is required to Withstand a continuous short circuit of D+ and/or D- to VBUS, ground, other data lines or the cable shield at the connector for a minimum of 24 hours Without causing damage to the internal circuitry."
"It is recommended that transceivers be designed to withstand such short-circuits indefinitely. The device must not be damaged under the
short-circuit condition when transmitting 50% of the time and receiving 50% of the time (in all supported speeds). The transmit phase consists of a symmetrical signal that toggles between drive HIGH and drive LOW. This requirement must be met for max value of VBUS (5.25 V). "

Yes, I use the same cables to connect 150 tablet with the same electronic board, and I had like 10 cases where the usb ports where broke because of the board.
But in my case, I have the entire Motherboard changed???

I am not sure what I am doing wrong that get my PC broke so often.
Is there a way to test the robustness of my usb connexion ??

What controller or USB transceiver you are using ?

Is your self powered or powered from USB ?

if yes what is the current it is taking from the port ?

did you find any other faults with the target board after using long time ?

I'm using PIC 32MX

My target board is self powered by a power supply (24V/ 3A max)

No, just the fact that USB ports broke after a while in (%10 of the cases).

Every thing looks ok other than the zener have a try on it.

did you use USB_UC_D_N anywhere else ? Why there is R44 and R45 ?

Also is Vbus going anywhere else other than Vbus of the controller ?

Every thing looks ok other than the zener have a try on it.

did you use USB_UC_D_N anywhere else ? Why there is R44 and R45 ?

Nope, USB_UC_D_N is not used else anywhere , I think R44 & R45 are recommanded in the microcontroller datasheet
Also is Vbus going anywhere else other than Vbus of the controller ?
Nope, striaght to the ucontroller

I just got my pc repaired, hope this will not happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.