Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Method to deemed S-parameter file (touchstone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawaslsh

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I was given a four port s-parameter file for a SAW filter (SF2168E) from a company, RFMi, and I was told the file was of a demo board which included tuning elements. Is there a method to deemed the tuning elements to work with the S-parameters of the device itself? Below is a picture of the schematic of their demo board.

figure1.PNG

Would it really be as simple as using negative value components as depicted below?
1652406292151.png

I did a few tests with ideal components and a known s-parameter file and it seemed to work, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious.
Thanks,
Sami

No, you have to de-embed the components but what you're gonna do s-parameters of the SAW filter itself ? It has only one application and the company has already designed the matching circuit.
Note: Your app. circuit is wrong. The Inductances should be placed first.

what you're gonna do s-parameters of the SAW filter itself?
The network they suggest is for a differential input. The company says the part can be used single ended, so I want to make a matching network when pins 2 and 5 are tried directly to ground and avoid having to place the 6 extra components in their initially designed network.

Perhaps I am not interpreting what you said here. The 4 port block in the center of the bottom pictire contains the entire circuit from the top picture. i reversed the order of the negative valued parts in the bottom picture (the negative sign turned out very poorly in the picture). I wanted to put the -10nH inductor in parallel with the +10nH imbedded in the SParameter file so their reactances would cancel. I suppose it’s not completely representative since the real inductor on their demo board has some resistance.
--- Updated ---

what you're gonna do s-parameters of the SAW filter itself?
The network they suggest is for a differential input. The company says the part can be used single ended, so I want to make a matching network when pins 2 and 5 are tried directly to ground and avoid having to place the 6 extra components in their initially designed network.

Perhaps I am not interpreting what you said here. The 4 port block in the center of the bottom pictire contains the entire circuit from the top picture. i reversed the order of the negative valued parts in the bottom picture (the negative sign turned out very poorly in the picture). I wanted to put the -10nH inductor in parallel with the +10nH imbedded in the SParameter file so their reactances would cancel. I suppose it’s not completely representative since the real inductor on their demo board has some resistance.

The most practical method is to measure this SAW filter on a test bed. De-Embedding may not give you very accurate result.
Place 2 Balun transformers at both sides then measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back