Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring time interval signals using a watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

walters

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I did a couple of things at work today that i don't understand

1.) I had to measure a signal from the microcontroller
To measure this signal , First i had to put a 1ohm resistor into the batterys and to the PCB and measure the voltage using the oscilloscope and Fluke meter which was across the 1 ohm resistor . The tech wanted me to use the oscilloscope in normal trigger mode to see the microscontrollers signal flashing at a interval rate.

It was just an DC voltage flashing at a time interval, but what is confusing for me is this
1.) The oscilloscope or multimeter wasn't fluctuating or pulsing using the 1 ohm resistor. It only worked when you put a 10ohm or 15ohm resistor not the 1ohm resistor, why is that?

2.) Once We got the oscilloscope and DVM meter to see the DC fluctuating and pulsing , the tech wanted me to count how many times in a minute did it pulse at. It was 30 pulses in a minute. The tech did some match by taking 30 pulses and 1 minute of time and used a formula to convert that into a time interval but i don't know how, do u guys know?

1.) The oscilloscope or multimeter wasn't fluctuating or pulsing using the 1 ohm resistor. It only worked when you put a 10ohm or 15ohm resistor not the 1ohm resistor, why is that?

With the 1 ohm resistor, it did indeed pulse; however, it was 10 to 15 times smaller, so you were less likely to see it. The pulses you saw on the oscilloscope were voltage pulses. Voltage pulses of 10 millivolts across a 1 Ohm resistor means Current pulses of 10 milliamps (Ohm's law, V = IR). Using a 10 Ohm resistor, voltage pulses of 10 millivolts would correspond to current pulses of only 1 milliamp. You were measuring some small currents.

2.) Once We got the oscilloscope and DVM meter to see the DC fluctuating and pulsing , the tech wanted me to count how many times in a minute did it pulse at. It was 30 pulses in a minute. The tech did some match by taking 30 pulses and 1 minute of time and used a formula to convert that into a time interval but i don't know how, do u guys know?

If it pulses 30 times in a minute, then that is 30 pulses in 60 seconds. 30pulses/60seconds = 0.5 Hz (that's the frequency, in standard units of Hertz). Alternately, the time interval between each pulse is 60seconds/30pulses = 2 seconds per pulse (that's the period).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back