Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

First time dabbling into capacitors and it's this

n0quart3r

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
To my very limited understanding of capacitors, this one's dead. My multimeter didn't show anything when I tried with ohm meter option nor did it show anything when I did the capacitor measuring option.

Problem with replacing it is less about the name being scratched, it's an old drill and chances are I would not find it the exact 1-1 that can fit in the same place in the handle. But it's a useful large drill that's quite strong so I'd like to make it work again.

I am clueless about capacitors and diagrams are not something I did in the past 2 decades - looking at the diagram there are 3 capacitors inside, 2xC2's wired in such way that blue wire is a common one and 1xC1 wired to the outside red wires. Is that correct? Reason I am so doubtful is because I've seen different stuff online and I could not find something that confirmed this working as such, so trying to be on the safe side and not be Mr Sparkles. I've read about dual capacitors but this is 3 capacitors...

To the best of my abilities I would assume it's 3 capacitors so C1 is a start capacitor that forms a dual capacitor setup with each of the C2's, which are run capacitors and are each used depending on rotation switch of the drill?

My question is, is my interpretation of the wiring inside that capacitor a correct one? Then buying 3 capacitors, soldering them and stuffing them inside should make it run.

Attachments

• IMG_20240116_130156.jpg
    IMG_20240116_130156.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 45

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: