Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Measuring SRF of a ferrite bead

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuuton1

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

I am in the process of selecting a ferrite bead for a low power application, signal filtering.

I have come across a few articles which I will link below detailing the selection procedure. However, I cant figure out where the capacitive region of the ferrite bead starts, using the impedance, reactance, resistance vs frequency curves. The capacitive region starts after the self resonant frequency of the ferrite but I cant seem to find a way to calculate the self resonant frequency using the info available in the ferrite datasheets.

How can one determine the frequency range over which the ferrite behaves as a capacitor using the info provided in the datasheets?

Any help in this regard will be highly appreciated.

Links of literature:

Regards.
fuuton

Last edited by a moderator:

Because you don't know the Equivalent Circuit of a Ferrite Bead and this values are generally not given in the datasheets.But you can measure by a VNA.When resonance occurs, you will see approx. \[ \infty \]
Ohm then you will know which part inductive and which is capacitive..

The point of a ferrite bead is to be lossy at high
frequency so it may mask the capacitive region
(if any - what's the through-capacitance of 1/4"
of wire in a nonconductive hole?)

If the Q of bead is low - which they normally are ( lossy right ) then there is essentially no SRF as the Q is not high enough to allow a resonant ring -they become rather more resistive with freq, in nature rather than inductive ( which they still are by virtue of length ) and less capacitive - unless there is a gnd plane right under the bead ....

I don't understand the exact problem. Most ferrite have datasheets with impedance curves. You can even fit an equivalent circuit if it's not given by the manufacturer or the provided model isn't good enough.

Even low Q ferrite beads have an impedance maximum, you might consider the respective frequency as SRF and the region right of it as capacitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.