Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measuring threw touch probe vs measuring threw coax input

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,i have a system of a oscilloscope and signal generator .I took the input and split it into two .
one side went straight to the scope while the other wen to an SMA connected PCB board.
I used a probe to measure the SMA central pin .
When i looked at the scope i saw that my probed amplitude differs the coax input amplitude although they got the same input signal.
I think its because the probe is 1Mohm and coax probe is 50Ohm.
i want to know to properly understand the result i got on the screen.
Suppuse my signal generator is 50 Ohm and i have 1M Ohm probe on the scope side.
1.What is the equivalent circuit being created between the generator and osciloscope ?
2.At what place on the "circuit" i see the measured scope data?
Thanks.
1702630520334.png

1702630741014.png

1702630857985.png

Please use commonly understood technical terms. I guess "touch probe" refers to a standard 10:1 passive oscilloscope probe?

What do you mean with "coax probe"? I guess you are splitting the signal with a simple unmatched BNC T-adapter, feeding one coax cable to your PC-Board and the other to the oscilloscope? If so, what's oscillocope input impedance setting, what's circuit input impedance? What's signal frequency?

Are you aware that T-adapter gives predictable results only a low frequencies, e.g. < 1 MHz because it involves signal reflections and standing waves?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: