Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

measure adc using dac?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xuexucheng

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I read some articles. They say that to measure the ADC performace, the high acute DAC should be used. What I can not understand is then how the DAC should be measued? This seems like the chick and egg problems?

Can anybody explain how to measue the ADC and DAC in very very detail?

Thanks a lot!

xuexucheng said:
... What I can not understand is then how the DAC should be measued? This seems like the chick and egg problems?
Sure, but you can use a "golden" egg, i.e an ideal DAC (functional, verilogA), which is totally error-free.

xuexucheng said:
Can anybody explain how to measure the ADC and DAC in very very detail?
Below pls. find some publications which may be helpful:

Attachments

• histogram_testing_dnl_inl_of_adcs_1012.pdf
    97.6 KB · Views: 78

erikl said:
xuexucheng said:
... What I can not understand is then how the DAC should be measued? This seems like the chick and egg problems?
Sure, but you can use a "golden" egg, i.e an ideal DAC (functional, verilogA), which is totally error-free.

xuexucheng said:
Can anybody explain how to measure the ADC and DAC in very very detail?
Below pls. find some publications which may be helpful:

Thank you very much.
measurement of adc is done by experiment. Using verilogA is just simulation.

You do not need a DAC to measure the ADC. You just need a logic analyzer that can capture your ADC output data and then you can use a math software (like matlab, for example) to run all the usual tests you need.
If you want to use a DAC, you need a pretty good one (at least 2 bits more than the ADC) at the same sampling speed. This method is not used for high speed or high accuracy ADCs.

Hi all

I'm simulating 2nd order delta sigma ADC using spectreS. Intially DAC coefficients are calculated using simulink model and its designed in SpectreS(by another student). Now I'm reworking on this circuit to improve the centre frequency.

So I would like to measure ADC performance using spectreS for different input frequencies/amplitude. My prof told me to use one verilog block to extract data from circuit and calculate its PSD in matlab. But I tried to do this, I'm not getting matlab file from veriloga block.

If someone know how to measure the ADC performance and how to extract matlab (.m extension file )file using veriloga to test its performance , please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back