Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCP3905 Energy meter problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

r_senthil_2004

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm working on an Energy meter based on MCP3905A.
I used the reference design exactly as per the document DS51565B.
I'm using Current Transformer for AC current.
F0, F1 set to 1,
F2, G0, G1 set to 0.
I'm interfacing the Hfout pin with my microcontroller for measurement.
When I connected with Power source and load, the LED D1 (as per the reference design) blinks.

(As I understand and as per the datasheet, Each pulse corresponds to a fixed quantity of real energy, selected by the F2, F1 and F0 logic settings. The HFout output has a higher frequency setting and lower integration period such that it can represent the instantaneous active (real) power signal.)

As per the datasheet (DS21948D-page 11 - section - A DTF converter accumulates the instantaneous active (real) power information to produce output pulses with a frequency proportional to the average active (real) power.). This means, pulse frequency is proportional to load.

But, the problem i see is that the blinking frequency is inversely proportional to the true energy (higher the load, lower the frequency and vice-versa).

This being a major problem, behavior is contrast to what the datasheet/AppNote states, what could be wrong ? Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
R.Senthil.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back