Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matrix Multiplication in Vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddy786

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Folks,

I would like to perform matrix multiplication in Vhdl,I have to save the end product in RAM.

Thanks in advance.

My input matrix is of 4*6 and coefficient matrix is of 6*4.Resultant matrix should be of 4*4,the coefficient matrix is in ROM, can we do this without for loop.

As you want ROM coefficients and result in RAM, the calculation has to be performed sequentially, one term per clock cycle.

My input matrix is of 4*6 and coefficient matrix is of 6*4.Resultant matrix should be of 4*4,the coefficient matrix is in ROM, can we do this without for loop.

Using a loop is a behavioural way of doing it, or a way to make a massively parallel circuit. If you did use a loop, you would quickly run out of resources as the matrices got bigger.

As FvM said, you need to do it sequentially. I highly suggest you step back from the code, and draw a circuit diagram of your intended design.

I am able to design the flow diagram of my intended problem, now i want to read my coefficient matrix in ROM, for this matrix i have created a matlab script and put the data into a text file, does anyone knows how i can read this file into ROM and also i need to put 2 coefficient in one memory location.

Unlike Verilog $readmemb(), there's no standard method to import ROM data to design tools. Some tools understand VHDL files for inferred ROM, some can import hex files for vendor ROM macros. Generating a *.VHD file with a constant array is probably the most portable method.

This means you are trying to say that i need to put the hardcode values directly in ROM in vhdl script, not loading data from file.

What are you portability requirements? If you're using a single board, you can probably just use the vendor's prefered method of loading a rom.

I am using controller to calculate rom address and sending it to rom but due to memory timing issue I am not able to get the correct value out of memory, my memory output is going to mux to select upper and lower bit, how can I latch a correct value without violating setup and hold time.

Did you mean i have to put a register between rom and mux or rom and controller.please elaborate.

Did you mean i have to put a register between rom and mux or rom and controller.please elaborate.

Yes he means exactly that. That is what pipelining means to add registers to break up a long combinational path between registers into smaller ones so they can meet setup/hold timing.

Yes he means exactly that. That is what pipelining means to add registers to break up a long combinational path between registers into smaller ones so they can meet setup/hold timing.
Hi ,

I am able to solve this but not with pipelining but calculating the address on the falling edge and reading the data on positive edge.With this i am to remove setup and hold constraint.Thanks anyway.

Using the double edge setup, you need even more constraints, and you actually impose stricter constraints on the design!

Status
Not open for further replies.