Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

matching 50ohm speaker to 8 ohm low power amp circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

viver8il

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
speakers 50 ohm

i have a 50 ohm speaker that i must use and connect to 8 ohm voice box, do i need a transformer to match impedance to get good audio quality, what kind and value, where do i puchase, any help would be appreciated

50ohm speaker

You may not need the transformer. Does the direct connection give you the acoustic signal level you want? Otherwise you will need an audio transformer. Try Tandy/Radio Shack for a in person purchase. There are several US mail order stores like Digikey and Mouser if you live there.

speaker 50ohm

The acoustic level of 50Ω while using on 8Ω system will be pretty low, so in my oppinion you need impedance matching transformer.
It will be quite difficult to find off-the-shelf solution, as most audio transformers are designed to operate with low-impedance speakers.
Have a look at available impedance matching transformers, find one primary or secondary winding matching 8Ω and re-wind the other winding to match 50Ω ..
Good luck and regards,
IanP

powerampcircuit

I agree with flatulent. Try it without matching. If you get the correct audio level, you are OK. Nothing bad can happen.

I think you should use a transformer with n equal to square root of 50/8.

best regards

viver8il said:
i have a 50 ohm speaker that i must use and connect to 8 ohm voice box, do i need a transformer to match impedance to get good audio quality, what kind and value, where do i puchase, any help would be appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back