Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Matching 33pF Capacitor to Resonate at 13MHz using Copper Wound Coil

chiques

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,

I would like to build a simple resonant circuit using bare copper wire as the inductor. I’m thinking I would have to wind it up around some sort of dowel like the ones in the background of this Kemet video(
). I found capacitor part number 100C330JW2500XJ36 and need it to resonate at 13MHz. It looks like they just solder the capacitor sections of the winding. Is this practical? Is this how it's really done in real test labs?
1696286628472.png

I’m also confused with this ‘Coil auto-transformer’ in the schematic:
1696286486582.png

Is there reason why I can’t just connect my PA directly to the Lmatch & Cdut?

The diagram looks simplified compared to the narration. Looks like the artist drew a transformer rather than an auto-former. The difference might not be important. The R&D team need to hook together all kinds of equipment, so they can do a variety of tests on their capacitors. Probably one thing for an hour, then another thing next hour.

In some tests they might even connect the power amp directly to the capacitor, as you mention.

Notice they have safeguards. Transparent screen. Insulated alligator clips. The big coil seems to be hollow copper pipe, which can be filled with water for cooling when they run 50 Amps through it.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: