Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making polygon to two layers

Status
Not open for further replies.

zezoelec71

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if I have a circuit in two layers : top and button
is it good to make a polygon to both two layers ,
or it's better to make a polygon to only the bottom layer ? and linking it to GND

It is good to fill unused copper with ground when there are high impedance or high frequency signals so that stray fields can be shielded or coupled better to ground. But if there is no purpose, it makes no difference.

If you are talking about adding bits of copper to fill spaces and these bits of copper to "not" be connected to ground, then I would not want to be doing that.

IMO They must be connected to a net and not left floating.

I generally tend to fill all remaining space with copper polygon on both sides. Then i join both sides with randomly placed vias (have to be randomly placed to avoid accidental resonant circuits). If there are some areas in a polygon which i cannot connect to proper potential or some large "antennas" i tend to remove those. If your designing a mixed signal circuit, then laying out ground and power is much more complicated, but if you're designing such circuits you probably know that stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back