Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

making a dc generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

bunti

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone tell me how to make a dc generator which can generate about 5 volts with the components which are readily available?

What is your source of power that you want to convert to 5 Vdc? Sun, water, wind, human-powered bicycle....

I want to use pedal power i.e.,human powered bicycle.

You can find small DC generators for bicycles readily in the marketplace.
Bicycle Generator search

For making it into 5V, you'd need a simple 5V linear regulator like an LM7805, or LM78M05... there are many variations, depending on power requirements.
Google - 7805 search

Be aware that a 5V regulator will only step a higher voltage down to 5V... it won't increase 3V to 5V. 3V in will be 3V out, but more generators will give you something higher than 5V, IIRC.

Hi,
What current you expect from the generator at 5 volts?

Hi,
What current you expect from the generator at 5 volts?

Most wheel-attach (turns against the wheel while you ride, sucking off energy) create about 6V and 2-3 watts, so about 0.5 amps at the top-end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back