Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LTE Simulation in OPNET/NS2

Status
Not open for further replies.

krrakesh5

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I am doing masters in Electrical and Computer Engineering and doing my research on video transmission over LTE networks. I am trying to identify the best simulator i can use. I would like to send real videos and identify the QoS/QoE gains with different scheduling/AMC algorithms.

I am considering OPNET and NS2 currently. I can see both of them are based on C++ and source code is available ( open source in NS2 and available for research for OPNET). But i think OPNET is having a better GUI and result analysis facility. Any suggestions on these is welcome.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi All;

Me too I'm working with LTE. I am hesitating between OPNet and ns-3 (The last version is ns3 but I didn't find enough comments to agree that it is stable). Until now, I don't have a clear idea of how they do work and which is the best one to choose. To keep things simpler, it is better to use ns but Opnet has a more friendly interfaces to see and interpret the results.

In summary, what I want to do is to simulate what happens in the core network part (congestion in the Evolved Packet Core Network) instead of the radio? So does anyone have more knowledge on that, I mean, the accuracy of those simulators regarding the core network modeling.

Thank's all

Definitely for EPC analysis OPNET is a good choice. It is really interesting simulator and it supports almost all the features of LTE.

Hi All;

Me too I'm working with LTE. I am hesitating between OPNet and ns-3 (The last version is ns3 but I didn't find enough comments to agree that it is stable). Until now, I don't have a clear idea of how they do work and which is the best one to choose. To keep things simpler, it is better to use ns but Opnet has a more friendly interfaces to see and interpret the results.

In summary, what I want to do is to simulate what happens in the core network part (congestion in the Evolved Packet Core Network) instead of the radio? So does anyone have more knowledge on that, I mean, the accuracy of those simulators regarding the core network modeling.

Thank's all

Definitely for EPC analysis OPNET is a good choice. It is really interesting simulator and it supports almost all the features of LTE.

Thank's Krrakesh. I'll use OPNet, I hope I'll post some comments on the forum later regarding my experience on that

Sure, Please let me know, if you face any issues configuring OPNET for LTE Simulation.

Thank's Krrakesh. I'll use OPNet, I hope I'll post some comments on the forum later regarding my experience on that

Hi all,,
I want to ask weather the opnet 14.5 support LTE???
and if any body could help me with a tutorial on how to simulate LTE with opnet 14.5..

Please I working with my master thesis and I am running-ou of time
regards to all

Hi,

I am using OPNET 16.0 with LTE and WIMAX licences. I assume 14.5 does not support LTE, but not sure.

You can verify this in multiple ways

1. Open Help--> Product Documentation--> Search for LTE and see if your OPNET installation support LTE

Or

Open opnet. Click on Topology tab ---> Deploy wireless network--> Proceed by clicking continue button and when you need to select technology (WLAN, WIMAX, UMTS..), check if LTE is also listed in technologies.

I can help you to configure LTE in OPNET, if you have LTE installed in OPNET.

Regards,
Rakesh

Hi all,,
I want to ask weather the opnet 14.5 support LTE???
and if any body could help me with a tutorial on how to simulate LTE with opnet 14.5..

Please I working with my master thesis and I am running-ou of time
regards to all

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

I am trying to simulate broadcast traffic to LTE UEs. But, this traffic is not forwarded from eNodeb to UEs. Anyone tried broadcasts/Multicasts in LTE? Any help is greatly appreciated.

MBMS feature is supported only in 16.1 PL0 release and i am using 16.0 PL6. But, still broadcast and multicast are supposed to work fine in 16.0 PL6 according to OPNET documentation.

Regards,
Rakesh

Hi,

I am using OPNET 16.0 with LTE and WIMAX licences. I assume 14.5 does not support LTE, but not sure.

You can verify this in multiple ways

1. Open Help--> Product Documentation--> Search for LTE and see if your OPNET installation support LTE

Or

Open opnet. Click on Topology tab ---> Deploy wireless network--> Proceed by clicking continue button and when you need to select technology (WLAN, WIMAX, UMTS..), check if LTE is also listed in technologies.

I can help you to configure LTE in OPNET, if you have LTE installed in OPNET.

Regards,
Rakesh

I got multicast working with some configuration changes. Broadcast is working fine in WiMAX..I suspect some configuration problem in network addressing is there in my LTE configuration. Will update soon..:)

Can you pls give me source of opnet 16? i am using opnet 14.5 which doesnot support lte.

thanks in advance.

hi

i often get error in opnet 14.5, the warning is like this

warning: your system is running low on memory and may become unstable. please save your work and restart the application to prevent data loss.

when i click ok, the simulation software hang and i can not use it . then i need to clean env_db14.5 in op_admin.

do someone of you know about this error, and how to avoid it. but my computer has enough physical memory.

i will be thankful if any of you write.

san

Hi ,

I'm glad to join you here after long time search about LTE implementation.
I need some help here to choose object as S-Gw, P-Gw, eNodeB , Server
My goal is a simple Lte network.
I'll be thankful for further and detail info.

hi, i'm a college student and i'm working on my thesis regarding LTE..can someone tell me where to get opnet for free?? i really need it for my thesis, i hope you could help me. thanks!! :)

hi, i'm a college student and i'm working on my thesis regarding LTE..can someone tell me where to get opnet for free?? i really need it for my thesis, i hope you could help me. thanks!! :)

Hi,
You cann't have it for free as far as I know.
but you may ask your professore if they can provide you opnet through college license.
good luck .

the last time i heard the licence was 80,000 USD... Wanted to use it for my final year project ended up using the Academic edition. Its seriously an awesome product... You can acquire the academic licence but you will need your supervisor to email them and the regional office will contact you. the process is quite long so u need to b patient

Status
Not open for further replies.