Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Lower RF signal strength?

Status
Not open for further replies.

player80

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

how can I lower the signal strength of an RF input (100-1000mhz -- television)? I'm currently using an attenuator which works well but can such a filter also be built with resistors and/or capacitors?

Your attenuator is probably just "resistors and capacitors". In fact, it's probably just resistors. You just need to match your impedance, probably 75 ohms.

Your attenuator is probably just "resistors and capacitors". In fact, it's probably just resistors. You just need to match your impedance, probably 75 ohms.

Can you recommend any source where I can get further information how that can be done correctly?

Why do you want to reduce the signal strength of your received TV signal? Your TV is supposed to have an AGC circuit to do that.

A question is usually best answered when it has all the requirements. reasons, Input & output power levels, user controls , impedance ( 75 typ) , physical and other constraints.

A resistive attenuator actually dissipates the unwanted signal as heat! Now Cs and L can't do this so the best you could do is to build a filter that rejects the "unwanted" signal. It also has the problem that is, you want a constant loss over a wide band then the filter will get extremely complex and the unwanted signal that are rejected can cause ghosting (reflections), resistors are also cheaper then Cs and Ls.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back