Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low Power Low Voltage ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wjaachen

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
low-voltage adc

Hello everybody,
I am a PhD student from Germany. I am going to design a low power low voltage integrated ADC for the application of temperature measurement. I learned basic knowledge of ADC in the university, but I have not designed it before. So I have a lot of questions:
1. How should I begin with this design? Is there any good paper to read?
2. Does low voltage mean the same thing as low power for ADC?
3. There are many structures of ADC, such like flash ADC, SAR ADC, pipeline ADC, etc. Which one ist adapted for the low power ADC?
4. Is SNR so important that I must calculate it for the ADC? Or can I just implement one of the ADCs in transistor level in cadence and simulate and test it, whether this ADC good or not?

Thank You very much for Your help!

low voltage adc

wjaachen said:
Hello everybody,
I am a PhD student from Germany. I am going to design a low power low voltage integrated ADC for the application of temperature measurement. I learned basic knowledge of ADC in the university, but I have not designed it before. So I have a lot of questions:
1. How should I begin with this design? Is there any good paper to read?
2. Does low voltage mean the same thing as low power for ADC?
3. There are many structures of ADC, such like flash ADC, SAR ADC, pipeline ADC, etc. Which one ist adapted for the low power ADC?
4. Is SNR so important that I must calculate it for the ADC? Or can I just implement one of the ADCs in transistor level in cadence and simulate and test it, whether this ADC good or not?

Thank You very much for Your help!

At first define specifications... at least preliminary...
for example 12 bit adc, with 100ms conversion time...
book:
PRECISION TEMPERATURE SENSORS IN CMOS TECHNOLOGY

No

3. SAR with capacitive DAC
or delta sigma

Capacitors has to be large enough in order to avoid kT/C noise...
(For example 12b SAR total capacitance >10pF)
You have to calculate mismatch in order to see how much is your accuracy.

wjaachen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pixel said:
At first define specifications... at least preliminary...
for example 12 bit adc, with 100ms conversion time...
book:
PRECISION TEMPERATURE SENSORS IN CMOS TECHNOLOGY

No

3. SAR with capacitive DAC
or delta sigma

Capacitors has to be large enough in order to avoid kT/C noise...
(For example 12b SAR total capacitance >10pF)
You have to calculate mismatch in order to see how much is your accuracy.

Thank you very much !
But the question is, why is low voltage not equal low power? The power dissipation is proportional to the supply voltage, isn't it?
How about pipeline ADC? Does it have lower power lost than other ADC, such as SAR ADC?

wjaachen said:
Thank you very much !
But the question is, why is low voltage not equal low power? The power dissipation is proportional to the supply voltage, isn't it?
How about pipeline ADC? Does it have lower power lost than other ADC, such as SAR ADC?

Power=Vdda*Ivdda
You can decrease Vdda, but also you could have high current consumption, for example high speed output driver, or transimpedance amplifier...
Generally low voltage leads to low power for a same design, but is it low power or not depends on current i.e. design. Thus you can not say equal.
At which university do you study?

wjaachen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.