Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Low frequency VCO implementation in digital and analog

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanshuo

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to implement an array pf VCOs . whose frequencies are ranging from -100KHz to 100KHz with a step size of 5(or10) KHz.

can anybody gives some idea on the pros and cons of implementation in digital v.s analog( or refer me relevant documents on this subject is also highly appreciated)

especially from the aspects of power consumption, complexity and accuracy.

Thanks very much.

Re: low frequency VCO

fanshuo said:
I want to implement an array pf VCOs . whose frequencies are ranging from -100KHz to 100KHz with a step size of 5(or10) KHz.

can anybody gives some idea on the pros and cons of implementation in digital v.s analog( or refer me relevant documents on this subject is also highly appreciated)

especially from the aspects of power consumption, complexity and accuracy.

Thanks very much.

hi
i think you can use divider to increase the freq. resolution, and the freq step can be realized by adding or removing capacitors.
good luck.
jeff

low frequency VCO

Thanks jeff,

But I still need more general comparisons between those two techniques since I am not very familiar with the digital implementations

low frequency VCO

u said from -100 Khz
what is it ?

khouly

low frequency VCO

Thanks Khouly. i should say "centered at 1MHz and in the range of 900KHz to 1.1MHz"

low frequency VCO

then u want it , in IC level , or circuit level "board"

khouly

go for ring oscillator

low frequency VCO

to Khouly, It should be implemented in IC level.

to replyanil, LC oscillator would not be practical for integration.But would a DCO be better?

low frequency VCO

for this small , frequency , u can make it ring , and after it s nice divider , and the ring oscillator is current controller this is a good approach

LC for sure wouldn't be pratical

khouly

low frequency VCO

and how about using digital oscillator?
It might be better for mismatch. But I am not very clear about the power consumption.

low frequency VCO

what do u mean by digital oscillator , is it a DDS

khouly

low frequency VCO

is DDS short for direct digital synthesizer?
I think that is what I mean.

low frequency VCO

yeah DDS ,is direct digital Synthesizer
it can be used as well , specially the DAC can be used and the reqirment is very relaxed .

khouly

low frequency VCO

well, then the question is back to which one is better?
If the first priority gives to the low-power design

Will you system has a XTAL as refrence clock? if you have a XTAL, PLL can help you realize the 5/10K step size. A simple RC relaxation oscillator will work.

low frequency VCO

the ring oscillator will need a PLL to control the frequqncy , which will be fine , the DDS is used in very fine and agile systems

so u can use ring oscillator in a PLL to get use reqirents

khouly

fanshuo

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
low frequency VCO

Thanks for your input.
They are very helpful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor