Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic Element estimation for Cyclone IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

frankqt

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need help from the masters here. I took a project without fully understanding the implications and now I am out of time and need some expert guidance.

I am building a hardware for a complex application. I understand the overall system well however I have zero FPGA experience. I am in the process of selecting a low cost FPGA for the app.

In the app FPGA acts as a data pipe. I have two cameras, they have standard 10 bit interfaces (D0-9, Fsynch, Lsynch, CLK). Cams take video and FPGA sucks the data out and write to a 256Mbyte RAM. CAMs are taking images simultaneously but they are not synchronized. The data may come at the same time or some time apart. FPGA writes each cam's data in a different place in RAM. Once the video taking is finished, it sends the data via SPI to CPU. That's pretty much it.

I am trying to see what would be the estimated LEs for something like this. I am choosing the Cyclone IV E series with 6K LEs. Is 6K LE enough? In this 6K, I would have to implement SPI, SDRAM and 2 camera interfaces and a few registers for CPU to coordinate operation.

6K LE should be sufficient for the digital interfaces (for camera, SDRAM and SPI), if no image processing is involved. The cheapest available Eval-Board (DE0-Nano) has a much larger FPGA, but no SDRAM. I guess, you should better select a board with sufficient on-board RAM. Or is it a hardware design project?

I presume that you calculated the RAM capacity according to the intended sequence length.

Status
Not open for further replies.