Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Logic Analyzer for USB 1.0-3.0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobAinscough

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've a need to analyze USB data:
1. On some of my computers USB data is getting corrupted and/or triggering power cycles on the device (sleep state is disable)
2. I'm working with Arduino boards and would like to check it's USB data

I have a Siglent Scope 1104X-E and was considering adding this 16 channel logic analyzer cable (USB?):
Siglent SLA1016

OR Saleae 16 channel logic analyzer (USB 1.1 only? CAN, HDMI):
Saleae 16-Channel Logic Analyzer

Thoughts on best approach to achieve my goals?

Cheers, Rob.

I have a Tek 'scope with 16-channel logic analyzer built in but I can't remember ever using it. I have a Saleae logic analyzer, now probably seven or eight years old and it is used almost daily. I can't praise them enough for clever design and superb build quality.

'Your mileage may vary' as they say but I know what my choice would be.

Brian.

Do you know if the Saleae 16 channel I listed above could analyze at USB 2.0/3.0 speeds? It seems the Siglent SLA1016 (or more like the 1104X-E) can't work with USB 2.0/3.0 data speeds.

Cheers, Rob.

I would confirm that with Saleae, they are very helpful if you drop them an email.

The problem with higher USB speeds is the need to potentially serialize all 16 inputs and add some 'admin' overhead then format it before sending. You can end up with needing a super-fast processor to handle the overhead. If you are working with Arduino you really don't need very high speed, even for USB analysis so USB2 would be more than adequate. Having the potential to go faster is always useful though. When you start looking into the realms of USB2 and 3 data streams you might in any case find analog measurements are more useful as the signals are anything but square waves and factors like edge rise and fall times are as important as the levels themselves.

Brian.

Higher speeds is where I'm most interested as that's the most likely to run into data corruption issues. Agree on the Arduino's but I also have other USB devices I'm needing to check including some audio interfaces (Motu, Prosonus).

I'll contact Saleae ... $1000 is about my cap and not in the budget for $24K scopes and interface cables.

Cheers, rob.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back