Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

MCU/MPU & RAM Selection Guid lines for 7" TFT Display-BMP & JPEG files

Prabhakarankft

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Everyone,
I have to design a Hardware to display image files on 7" Inch TFT display. Image(.BMP & JPEG) are stored in USB drive(Pen drive) as well as in Micro SD Card in a . I never experinced with multimedia/ Graphics application and I have no idea about the selection of MCU/MPC and external RAM. Image files are from user and it will be less than 10MB in size( L x W are not standard).
Here what are all the knowledge I should have, to design the Hardware! Previously I have displayed Text files on 7" TFT display sucessfully! Gone through some materials on internet and I have learned very little about the FMC pins of MCU! To display any image wityhout processing delay We need to have sufficient RAM to fetch data from the source and display!

Pls guide me to select MCU/MPU and RAM. RAM Can Be Internal and external. How to take/move this project to the next level??

Specifications are as follows:
Display

Size: 7.0 inch
Driver IC: SSD1963
Data Bus: 16-bit 8080
800 (RGB) *480 resolution
256/65K color

USB :
USB calassification: 2.0
Size: 32GB

SD Card:
Size: 32GB
Communication: SPI
Class: 4

Hi,

Some problems:
* you say: BMP/JPG and "wityhout processing" --> you can´t use JPG without processing before sending it to the TFT
* "L x W are not standard", --> what does this mean?
* "FMC pins of MCU!" --> What does FMC mean? What MCU are you talking about?
* you mentioned 7" sevalt times, but the phsical dimension does not matter at all.

There are ready to buy digital picture frames with SD and USB interface.

As an alternative I recommend to use a Raspberry or similar.

Klaus

you say: BMP/JPG and "wityhout processing" --> you can´t use JPG without processing before sending it to the TFT
I mean there should not be any rendering delay! Images should be displayed with in few milli seconds,Do not display slowly
"L x W are not standard", --> what does this mean?
Files size - For examble 960 Pixels (Height) x 1536 Pixels (Width)
* "FMC pins of MCU!" --> What does FMC mean? What MCU are you talking about?
Flexible Memory Control (FMC) found in STM32 microcontrollers
* you mentioned 7" sevalt times, but the phsical dimension does not matter at all
Well Understood. As I have mentioned earlier TFT resolution is 800 (RGB) *480 with inbuilt SSD1963 driver IC
As an alternative I recommend to use a Raspberry or similar
I hesitate to use Raspberry PI for few reasons
  1. In Industrial application We should expect proper power shut down all the time, So OS may corrupt very easy because of frequent power failure/ improper shut down
  2. We could not sevice Raspberry PI- Use & through in case of any failures occured
Kindly guide me to start my first step!

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: