Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

load *.txt file into fpga

Status
Not open for further replies.
As this is just a simulation model, you cannot synthesise this code. You will need an external memory controller (depending on what your external memory is) that allows you to read and write from it.

As this is just a simulation model, you cannot synthesise this code. You will need an external memory controller (depending on what your external memory is) that allows you to read and write from it.

I has study about the external memory which is DDR2 SDRAM (supported by Cyclone II). What I understand is DDR2 SDRAM is another hardware (memory) that will be interface with FPGA. This DDR2 SDRAM is used to read and write input file. Then, we can use DDR2 SDRAM Controller MegaCore function to interface the DDR2 SDRAM with FPGA.

Is it right what I understand? If not,can you correct me..thanks for reply

Hi TrickyDicky,

What example of DDR2 SDRAM device and how to get it? Is it I need to write vhdl code to program the DDR2 SDRAM?
Most article I found explains about DDR2 SDRAM Controller interface, not explain on how to create DDR2 SDRAM..thanks for reply

SDRAM is an external chip to the FPGA. You need a controller inside the FPGA to read and write to the external chip.

Hi TrickyDicky,

I have 2 question:
1) What else external memory that can be used besides SDRAM?
2) From the previous post, you said text file is not synthesise with fpga, and should ignore the text file because it will read a row of data. How to read a row data from a text file and how to ignore the text file? (because the data is save in .txt file)

I still not clear about this,hope you can help..thanks for reply

1) It depends what you have got available on your board or you want to use. The FPGA has internal memories, but they are quite small and different devices have different amounts. Otherwise theres SDRAM, SRAM, SSRAM, Flasg, and probably several others.

2). A file is an operating system/software concept. The FPGA has no understanding of any files. It just processes binary data. You control how you move that data around an FPGA. So the file is just a stream of data, and you read it however you want to read it. You could load the data 1 line at a time from a PC via some transfer mechanism, like RS232, if you have a UART controller on your FPGA (you will have to write one or get hold of one) or ethernet if you want (again, you need an ethernet controller. You need an altera licence to use theirs, otherwise other companies may sell you one).

Forget about files on FPGAs. Files dont exist on an FPGA.

Hi fanwel can you pleaze tell me what is the exact matlab command to get pixel values in .txt file in matrix format from a particular image

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back