Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LNA Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

john.zhang

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am designing an LNA for 30 to 45 GHz using SOI CMOS. I am using cadence virtuoso to simulate it, while my passive devices are EM simulated on ADS. All the guides I see online, usually start their SP analysis at 1 GHz, and so I also do that, and everything is fine.
However, I recently tried to do an SP analysis from 0 Hz, with a step size of 0.1G, and at cadence gives a warning of arithmetic exception, and at 0Hz it returns a kfactor of 0 as well as an S21 magnitude of 0, which is why I guess the kfactor is 0 because an S21 of 0 would yield an indeterminate kfactor result.
Is this a cause for worry or is this just a case of cadence not being able to compute it properly?
I do have a DC blocking cap in my LNA input, which could block DC to a few hundred megahertz, so is it correct in thinking that any instability up to a few hundred megahertz should not matter?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.