Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

line to SMD Pin Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

microfab_RMA

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Im new to PCB design in general, more specifically to PCB editor 16.2.
I am creating a passive structure with my own package footprints.
My problem is that i do not know how to connect two pins of different packages without getting the DRC spacing errors. My pads have SMD openings on them.
Am I not supposed to use the add connect command(F3) to create lines. ( I have the proper manufacturer's constraints for line width and spacing.
Thanks.
RMA

So I was able to find a way around this problem:
-I used connectors in capture CIS with the same number of pins as my corresponding pads.
-In the properties of the parts in capture, i put the correct footprint
-I exported the netlist
-I imported this netlist into Allegro.
-Then I was able to see rasnets and create connections without getting a DRC.

Now my problem is the following: I added more structures in the schematic; I removed some pins from my package to match the schematic. But I cannot seem to see these updated footprints on the board.

For instance, one of my package footprints had 16 pins, i removed pins 1 and 4 and saved it the package symbol. When I go back to the board to update the place the same package it is still the 16 pin version. And when I try to import the netlist i get the error:

"ERROR(SPMHNI-196): Symbol 'XYZ' for device 'X_XYZ' has extra pin '1'.

ERROR(SPMHNI-196): Symbol 'XYZ' for device 'X_XYZ' has extra pin '4'.

How can one update the footprint library in Allegro PCB 16.2?

Thanks.
RMA

Hmm sound like wrong setting in library path under user preferrences.

Added after 8 seconds:

Hmm sound like wrong setting in library path under user preferrences.

microfab_RMA said:
So I was able to find a way around this problem:
-I used connectors in capture CIS with the same number of pins as my corresponding pads.
-In the properties of the parts in capture, i put the correct footprint
-I exported the netlist
-I imported this netlist into Allegro.
-Then I was able to see rasnets and create connections without getting a DRC.

Now my problem is the following: I added more structures in the schematic; I removed some pins from my package to match the schematic. But I cannot seem to see these updated footprints on the board.

For instance, one of my package footprints had 16 pins, i removed pins 1 and 4 and saved it the package symbol. When I go back to the board to update the place the same package it is still the 16 pin version. And when I try to import the netlist i get the error:

"ERROR(SPMHNI-196): Symbol 'XYZ' for device 'X_XYZ' has extra pin '1'.

ERROR(SPMHNI-196): Symbol 'XYZ' for device 'X_XYZ' has extra pin '4'.

How can one update the footprint library in Allegro PCB 16.2?

Thanks.
RMA
You'll have to create a new netlist, with the two pins removed also from the Orcad Capture CIS part.

I think there is a mismatch in the pin numbers in schematics part symbol and the footprint. please review both and create new netlist an import it. I think the error will cleared.

You need to generate a new device file from librarian. You will have to make sure device file is in correct location. check your paths.

remember that you need to have pin numbering matched is schematic and PB footprint otherwise it will keep on showing errors.
You should have same pin naming and same number of pins in footprint as schematic symbol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back