Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Converting Gerbers to CAD, IPC or ODB++

Kkomar

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am having issues converting Gerbers to CAD.

Tried converting Gerbers to IPC 356 or ODB++ with DipTrace and had some success, this issue is no parts or package edits are showing in valor when I upload the created CAD, it’s like I’m missing something.

The ODB++ method seems to be working better a I can see the silkscreen when uploading to Valor. I wasn't getting any images when loading the IPC file. ODB & IPC I am most familiar with.

I also tried converting with Pentalogic Viewmate from Gerber to DFX, that pumps out a PDF which I wasn’t sure how to use in Valor.

Thank you,
Keith

Maybe you want to look at what formats "Valor" can use and then
a tool which will import Gerber to a common "live" CAD format
(i.e. one you can edit in your preferred tool, after import). May be
a journey of multiple steps.

Which Valor software?
Reverse engineering Gerber's to a CAD design, involves a fair bit of intervention, depending on the ability of the CAD software.
Gerber is a dumb format, it is purely a set of artworks showing copper patterns, there is NO component footprint or part information, this has to be created as part of the conversion.

Which Valor software?
Reverse engineering Gerber's to a CAD design, involves a fair bit of intervention, depending on the ability of the CAD software.
Gerber is a dumb format, it is purely a set of artworks showing copper patterns, there is NO component footprint or part information, this has to be created as part of the conversion.
Hi,

We are using Valor Process Preparation 12.11

I am using it to prepare a program for the Flying Probe.

As far as the footprint/BOM/netlist, would you upload this into valor after loading your CAD, or is the goal to include it in the CAD.

Normally when the customer provides the CAD, everything is included.

Thank you,
Keith

Not quite clear what you want to achieve. Testpoint definition will be usually provided in addition to PCB manufacturing and assembly data and need not to be extracted.

ODB++ generation in layout tool can be configured to contain also netlist, component and pin information. A full featured ODB++ file can be therefore used for other purposes like afterwards testpoint placement or 3D EM simulation.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back