Limitation in both Time Frequency Domains ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

rat_race

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi everyone

i am wondering wether there exists signals limited both in time and frequency domains or not. actually i have been told by one of my professors that there is some. but i cant even imagine it ! could some one give me some examples : 3 at least ?

Regards

Hi Dear rat_race!

I don't understand the word "Limitations". Please say more details.

Thanks!

i mean any signal that has finite bandwidth in both frequency & time Domains.
imagine a simple Pulse with finite duration & its transform Sinc function, although it is finite in time but not in frequency. i should note that by finite , i mean exactly & strictly finite ! just like the pulse function in time domain. i do not mean effective fininte as may be defined arbitarily. any way this sounds impossible to me in mathematical terms, but the professor said that there exists some !!!

Hi

There are plenty of those signals, try looking at the Gaussian pulse exp(-t^2) and its n derivatives.

If you think this is a useful info, click on "helped me" for statistics

Sal

ya..there r some signals limited both in time and freuency domain lik a simple pulse signal and also gate signal...some finite time domain signal may be finite even in freq domain also ..since both are invrese only..right..

None of the examples given are valid. A Gaussian is NOT time or band limited since the signal amplitude never reaches 0. And a pulse in time is a constant over all frequency and vice versa. I don't know what a "gate signal" is, but as far as I know, it is mathematically impossible to have a signal that is both time limited and band limited.

From Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bandlimited:

rat_race

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…