Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] LED open or short protection circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Can anyone point me towards an IC, or a circuit, or even just a datasheet for an IC that contains this function: LED open and short protection for series LEDs and/or parallel LED strings?

I could only come up with the following circuit - which works correctly on a breadboard - which is okay but would be nicer if it could be powered from the LED string rather than +V.

DSC_0037.JPG

It is 'good' but 'bad' as it is discrete parts and not worth making one per LED.

Other devices and circuits I see either shut down a string for any open LEDs or short LEDs, only shunt current around an open LED, share shorted LED's current between the other LED strings, shunt excess current to ground.

It would be nice to know of an IC that has the same function as my circuit or alternative circuits that achieve the same (bypass a shorted or open LED and pass an equal current to maintain non-fault circuit operation) but use less parts.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.