LED display for gearindicator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Ante, for all help. I really appreciate it.

Is it anode up and cathode down to minus (negative) on the capacitator (like I drew)?
Also, is there any other than electrolyt capacitators which handles 100 micro farad?
Also, should I use 16 V or 25 V? 16V 100 uF does handle 160 mA rms max. 25 V handles 190 mA rms.

I will order the stuff I need, and start build next week. I will follow up the project.

Hello,
I'm WAYYY behind eveyone on this site, but I want to do a project similar to yours and thought I may be able to get some help. I want to build a simple 7 segment, 2-digit LED disply that can be sequenced up or down. It would be nice to be able to jump to a keyed-in number via. remote (like a tv remote) but not necessary. I found the 5" LED units from the site you linked in one of your responces (Germany?) 5" would be perfect for my project. Am I trying to tackle something too big for a novice? Any help is appreciated.

Shouldn't be too difficult with a BCD counter and BCD to 7 segment decoder, a good place to look might be www.doctronics.co.uk/beastie_zone.htm as this site is geared (no pun intended ) towards the beginner, and even has breadboard layouts for most of the circuits.

Yes it’s an electrolytic capacitor you need (25Volts is best, 16V is a bit low in a car) and the positive side should be connected to the base of the transistor (the point where R1 and R2 meet) and the negative to negative (-). I can’t see any polarity on your drawing regarding the capacitor.

Good Luck Nikke!

Thanks Ante!

Pictures will come. I'll start building next week.

I came up with a thing.
Maybe I want to use another display, a smaller one.
It uses just 4 V per segment and 10 mA per segment. What resistors should I use then?
Do I have to change anything else than the resistors for the segments?

You must swap to 1000-Ohm (1kOhm) resistors. Everything else should work the way it is. I assume this new display is also a common cathode type.

Ante :roll:

Ok. For the dot should I use 1,2k, the dot uses 2 V?
Yes, its a common cathode too.

Yes, that’s right 1.2k will be fine.

Ante :roll:

How will I build Numeral Timer schematic??? please show me a schematic....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…