Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Leakage inductance through FEMM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear All,
I need to analyse leakage inductance of transformer types (toroidal, E core, U core) along with various type of windings configuration using FEA software. Which software has the easiest learning curve among COMSOL, FEMM, Quickfield that can do all the required magetics analysis.

First point is to determine if the problem can be catched by simple 2D analysis as provided by FEMM or Quickfield, or if you need full 3D AC-magnetic simulation with high-end tools. The complete E- or U-core configuration is clearly a 3D problem, the leakage inductance of an (idealized) cylindrical winding configuration can be however analysed as axisymmetric 2D problem.

Free Quickfield Student has a limitation in number of nodes, thus I'd suggest open source FEMM for 2D simulation. I think you can learn basic operation in a few days. For full 3D, I'd rather expect weeks up to months of self study, presumed you have access to a tool.

sabu31

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thankyou FVM for the reply. I have seen a FEMM simulation for leakage inductance
. And made similar configuration.

But I am still not clear (such as leakage inductance at 100Khz, or other frequencies). Here, the frequency term is not used.

I am attaching the simulation file.

Here windings are taken as a single entity. How do I use different winding configurations (number of turns, interleaved, section etc) in FEMM. Any suggestion regarding this or any references will help me have deeper understanding.
--- Updated ---

In continuation with above , i have tried to make a transformed with 3 winding in primary and 1 as secondary. How do I find leakage inductance from magnetic field energy

Attachments

• transformer2.rar
    1.5 KB · Views: 118
  • transformer3.rar
    1.5 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back