Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[PIC] LCD data show garbage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manjuhb

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Recently I develop one project in which total 5 DC motor. The project contain 16x2 LCD display with PIC16F886. When use press key then motor will run. I observe that after some key operation LCD show garbage & it remain few minute. LCD runs in 4 bit mode. Garbage comes randomly some times for 3 iterations some times for 10 iterations and this design is done on the PCB board. Please let me know what could be the problem.

I have 0.1uF cap across the PIC IS also.
To drive motor I have used L298n H-bridge IC. I have used flywheeling diodes also across the motor connection.

Hi,

most probably EMC problems.

caused by:
* wiring (maybe dividing power wires from signal wires, or the use of drilled pair wiring or shielded cables...helps)
* PCB layout (GND_plane, GND_plane, GND_plane!... EMC filters, low impedance signal lines...capacitors, a ceramics at least on each VCC pin, bulk capacitors, and on signal lines like RST)
* I/O EMC filters, I/O ESD protection
* system clock circuit..

Klaus

Feeding the microcontroller by the same power bus alread used by log devices is always a potential risk issue. In general it is a good choice to separate both.

Feeding the microcontroller by the same power bus alread used by log devices is always a potential risk issue. In general it is a good choice to separate both.

We have all ready done 50 board. Please let me know how to solve this problem in existing boards. Thanks

May be you should show us that boards first?
Btw, schematics also will be helpfull.

Please find the attached schematics

Attachments

• PCB_Project.pdf
    354.1 KB · Views: 70

And pcb, please. Schematic looks good. Unused pins of LCD I recommend you to connect to ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.