Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

LC-VCO simulation using HSpice

Status
Not open for further replies.

wccheng

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lc oscillator hspice tran time

Dear all,

I am using tsmc 0.13um to design one differential LC-VCO oscillator. I am using HSpice to simulate the .tran. The transistor uses the model provided by tsmc. The other components using ideal model, for example: L, C, R. I have set the trasisent step small enough. Moreover, I have add the starup pulse for the VCO to start up the oscillation.

However, the oscillator does not oscillate. How could I solve it? Even it can start up at first time, it will dampling out finially. Even I increase the size of the cross coupled transistor size or current source. It could not oscillate continuously. How could I solve it?

thanks

wccheng

The transient step size must be set really small. Otherwise it indroduces a loss which cam case a high-Q circuit to not oscillate in spice. You may need to do some trial & error. As a srarting point use a step size of 1/1000 of the period.

also maybe your gm is not big enough

Re: lc oscillator hspice tran time

hi,have u got the information about LC-VCO, if u got it please send me.........
Dear all,

I am using tsmc 0.13um to design one differential LC-VCO oscillator. I am using HSpice to simulate the .tran. The transistor uses the model provided by tsmc. The other components using ideal model, for example: L, C, R. I have set the trasisent step small enough. Moreover, I have add the starup pulse for the VCO to start up the oscillation.

However, the oscillator does not oscillate. How could I solve it? Even it can start up at first time, it will dampling out finially. Even I increase the size of the cross coupled transistor size or current source. It could not oscillate continuously. How could I solve it?

thanks

wccheng

Status
Not open for further replies.