Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Kickback reduction without magnetic field reversal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DC177E

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

I will be pumping ~250a (At 40v) through a 100 turn coil momentarily (hopefully ~5ms pulse length), controlled by a mosfet, and there will surely be a significant amount of inductive kickback that will probably kill said mosfet. I've seen the standard diode-across-inductor technique to remove this harmful kickback, but, to my understanding, this creates a magnetic field in the reverse of the one it was generating before (correct me if I'm wrong), which, since this is being used in a solenoid-type application to pull a magnet, would be unacceptable (it would push the magnet back away again).

So, basically, how could I remove kickback without reversing the magnetic field? Am I violating the laws of inductors by attempting to do so?

Any help would be appreciated.

Your assumption is wrong. A freewheeling diode will simply allow the coil current to decay slowly to zero. Magnetic field H is proportional to current I (H = constant*n*I) and won't reverse. In some applications, the slow decay is unwanted, e.g. if you want to release a contactor or magnet fastly. In this case you'll allow a higher flyback voltage and respective higher dI/dt, e.g. by using a varistor or diode/Z-diode combination.

Ah, alright, sorry about that, don't know why I assumed the magnetic field would reverse.

Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.