Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Axial stator with rotating field

Salvador12

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey, a while ago I asked here about mosfet switching in a row. I managed to build a chaser based on shift register logic that worked like a "LED chaser"
Now what I want to do is build a simple axial stator , (already have the laminations) where the field actually rotates, so instead of using DC to sequentially switch poles ON/OFF , I want to use an AC sine wave and simple switch the coils on the stator on/off in a sequence while the coils themselves are all parallel, so the magnetic field itself is that of the AC sine wave, but it's location moves together with the poles.

Here is a simple drawing of the idea, the question is what switching topology to best implement to achieve this goal?
My own idea, at least partly is to use a shift register (which I already have) to accomplish the drive signal that could drive the switches in sequence.
So in the drawing I have 8 poles, or 4 pairs, the idea is that at any given time only 3 pairs are ON and one pair is OFF. Any two to three poles that are adjacent have the same flux direction,
The shift register just relays the signal to the switches such that it leaves the switches for the OFF pole pair that is moving around in the OFF position which then moves along.
With 9 poles and 4 pairs and one coil for each pair that is wound in opposite direction on each pole I would have only 4 wire pairs where in theory I could tie together the 4 ends and use the 4 inputs to drive the sequence, what do you think?

Any advice is welcomed.
pole pairs.png

The 4066 IC (quad bilateral switch) can pass any waveform (including sine waves) in either direction. The four switches are controlled each by a high or low signal which you apply.

A shift register can rotate a clock signal through a cascade of flip-flops. You choose the clock speed. The pulse advances to the next flip-flop.

The other signal (D) is a duty cycle which is also the divide-by quantity. It determines how many flip-flops are simultaneously On at one moment. (My screenshot shows the moment the last two FF and the first FF are on.)

Take your output from Q or bar-Q, or both if you wish to obtain bipolar AC square waves.

shift register rotates pulses to desired amount of outputs at a time.png

--- Updated ---

Click the link to run my simulation in Falstad's simulator (animated & interactive):

1) Opens falstad.com/circuit,
2) Loads my schematic into the simulator,
3) Runs it on your computer.

Select Toggle screen (under File menu).

A slider lets you select duty cycle of signal at D input.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: